Thursday, September 3, 2009

2-Year Check-up

Shots x 5: Kaydence, Kassidy, Kyndall, Rustin and Ryder


Just before we left on vacation, the quints had their 2-year check-up. They are all doing great! Developmentally, all of them are right where they are supposed to be. I still marvel at what a miracle these babies are! Here are the latest stats from their doctor's visit:


(Note: The stats are about a month old, but the pictures were taken a few days ago)


Kassidy
33.5 inches tall (50th percentile)
24 lb 7 oz (25th percentile)
Kassidy is the "Queen Bee" or "Mother Hen" of the bunch. She definitely thinks she is in charge, but she is also very mothering to the other babies. Of all the babies, she has the hardest time dealing with change---she likes it best when everything happens right on schedule.


Kaydence
31.25 inches tall (5th percentile)
20 lb 10 oz (<5th percentile)
Kaydence is a sweet little cuddlebug. She takes life at her own pace. She sleeps snuggled up with as many stuffed animals as she can get her arms around.


Rustin
32.25 inches tall (10th percentile)
25 lb 4 oz (20th percentile)
Rustin is such a little clown. He is always making us laugh. He is also a true redhead and is very mischevious. He climbed out of his crib for the first time tonight, and I am afraid of what that might lead to!


Kyndall
32 inches tall (10th percentile)
19 lb 1 oz (<5th percentile)
Kyndall is the most independent of the bunch. She is full of spunk and always has a smile on her face. Despite her small size, or maybe because of it, she is the best climber.


Ryder
33.25 inches tall (25th percentile)
25 lb 2 oz (20th percentile)
Ryder is still my high-maintaince man. He likes to have lots of attention and it is rare to find him without at least one of his comfort objects (binky or "nuggie"). He is very sweet and loving and I can always count on him to come running for storytime.


Kaiya
Kaiya just started the first grade and is doing great in school. She is taking gymnastics this year and is in the running club. She loves to turn on music and dance with the babies.

Riley
Riley just started the fourth grade. He loves to read and even sets his alarm to wake up 30 minutes before he needs to, just so he can get some extra reading time in. He is taking piano lessons and is going to play volleyball this season. He is also in the running club. Riley is great at making the babies laugh. I always recruit Riley to help when I am trying to take pictures because he can always make them smile.


Kaiya and Riley on their first day of school on their first day of school. (holding up fingers corresponding to the grade they are in)


Rustin, Kaydence, Kassidy, Kyndall and Ryder----the babies got this great table for their birthday---it has 5 legs---what could be more perfect??


Chillin' on the stools: Rustin, Kyndall, Kassidy, Kaydence and Ryder


A taste of the "terrible twos"--Ryder pushed a chair over to the counter and helped himself to the Nesquik--he looks a little too proud of himself!

I have tried on several occasions to get the babies to drink milk from their sippy cups, but they always refuse. I put off "bottle graduation" as long as possible because I was worried that the babies wouldn't be getting enough calcium and other good stuff from milk if I took them away. With the babies turning two, it was definitely time to get rid of bottles. We had a "bye, bye bottles" party. All the kids took turns throwing bottles into a large trash bag and saying "bye, bye bottles!" Then we sang the good-bye song (from Monster Clubhouse). We clapped and cheered, took pictures and even had treats. The next few days, a couple of them would ask for their bottle, but we just reminded them that we said bye, bye to bottles, and they were OK with that. And, after a couple of days, everyone (except Kassidy, the change-resistor) decided that they could go ahead and drink milk from a sippy cup. Hurray! The next step is to get Ryder and Kyndall to give up the binky......I think that will be a little more difficult!

Bye, Bye Bottles Party! Ryder, Kyndall, Kaydence, Rustin, and Kassidy


Share/Bookmark

19 comments:

Crazy Granny said...

I'm one lucky grandma.

LucieP said...

I know your mom is happy about the red hair!!

Your feelings about their milk supply dwindling without the bottles is SO TRUE! My 21 month old is not too good about drinking milk from a sippy...thank goodness for vitamins!

Andrea said...

I love those brown outfits. Your kids are adorable. I think crib tents might be in your near future...

Kim said...

So cute! I can't believe how fast they have grown up! I've been reading your blog since the babies were about 6 months old. I watched "Multitude of Multiples" and felt like I already knew your family (sorry if that sounds weird!) It has been so much fun to watch your kids grow and change. They are all adorable!

Kim Golding
Utah

Spence Ohana said...

Great pics and updates of all the kids! :) How cute you had a bye bye bottle party! Great idea. It's difficult the graduate them from something that's comforting. Our 2.5 year old just stopped using his binky this summer - and that's only because our puppy chewed up his last one!

Schauers Hours said...

You keep referring to them as babies but they really don't look like babies anymore! They are turning into handsome and beautiful little children!

The Dorns said...

OMG they are just so stinking cute. I cant believe how much they have changed this last year. Looking forward to hearing some more silling stories this year. Stay strong this is the "independent me do it" year. Your fabolous mom so I know you will handle it just fine.

Rachelle said...

Heather--You are totally right---I do need to stop calling them babies, but I haven't figured out what to call them. Calling them "the toddlers" seems funny. Using "the kids" doesn't really distinguish them from Riley and Kaiya. Maybe "the quints". Riley and Kaiya think I should call them "the littles" and refer to Riley and Kaiya as "the bigs". :-)

Full House said...

Ah pushing chairs over to get things & climbing out of cribs. Right there with ya.

Now did they give the babies their shots @ the same exact time? I hope you like your peds office.


it really is a miracle how healthy they are. Not a miracle that they are so cute though.

Full House said...

Oh & feel fine about callingl them babies....You aren't having anymore are you...so see just keep calling them babies because afterall they are just that the babies of the family, and they always will be.

Anonymous said...

They are so beautiful! I love those little brown dresses! Were they homemade? I like "the littles" and "the bigs"...haha!
Congrat's on saying bye bye to the bottles! Good luck with your Terrific Two's!

Cori said...

Ditto what Kim said above...I've followed your family since you were pregnant (creapy lol), but I feel like I know your family! I thought your portion of the "Multitude of Multiples" was great!!

I second the crib tents...I nanny for 2yo triplets and those crib tents saved naptime and bedtime!!

Amanda said...

The way to drop the binkies is very similar to the bottle technique you used. Have a party and tell the kids the binkies are going to new babies. Maybe even find someone who has a baby they can "give" the binkies to.

I know of people who have cut an x into the tip of the binkie so it pinches the tounge when they put in thier mouths, but that just seems cruel.

The Carlsons said...

Very cute! Praise God for how well everyone is doing and growing, especially the quints. Miracles, I tell you!!

Thanks for sharing! Always love reading up on the Wilkinsons (and seeing pics) :D
-quad mom of 18mo GGGG and a 5yo boy

SchrefflerFamily said...

I just got my son one of those blue stools at IKEA and he LOVES it! He uses it for so many different things (I was just going to use it for a flat place to put the room fan so he'd get his rocking chair back)

Dana said...

I saw on suppernanny she introduced the binki fairy. The fairy had a net and the kids were explained to that she was collected binki's for all the little babies and she really needed there's to help the babies. So they put their binki's in the net.(One kid had a terrible time physically letting go and the other girl his twin very eagerly put it in) So the next day when they woke up the binki fairy had left them a little gift for them for giving her their binki's. That seemed to do the trick. THey were 4 however and not 2 so..... who knows though maybe it would work for your little ones. By the way I guess I am a little bit of a blog stocker. I found your story in a BYU alumni magazine and have followed you ever since. What an awesome family you have.

Anonymous said...

Don't be too quick to get rid of the binkies all together......or you may find them sucking their thumbs like my daughter did. That was much more difficult to stop. They are only 2......they still find them a comfort.....just begin to limit when they can use them?
You have a wonderful family....all 7 of them.
Anne. uk

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Oh man, I can't wait to see more 2 year old mischief pictures! Fun to watch them evolve:)

Julie said...

That is so funny that you took a picture of Riley and Kaiya with their fingers representing their grade levels. I took one of my kids like that too! Of course, my daughter is in 1st grade and my older son is in 10th! He gave me a "look". LOL! And as far as you calling the little ones "Babies", I classify my family into the "Boys" (my husband and older son) and the "Babies" (even though my younger son is now 4 and my daughter is 6 1/2!). They will always be your babies! LOL!