Saturday, October 20, 2007

Adventures in Craigslisting

This week we have had "Auntie V" staying with us. For those of you in blogland who have been following our story over the summer, Aunt Victoria is one of the fabulous aunts who came to Austin for a week in July to help unpack and decorate the house. She is amazing. After moving, we have a lot of things that we no longer need. Aunt Victoria has been helping me to rid the garage of many of these items. Over the past couple of days, I have listed several things for sale on Craigslist. As people have come to the house to pick up items, it has been quite comical to see the different reactions to the babies. I wish that we could have had a hidden camera to capture them all. It usually goes something like this:

(I answer the door with a baby over my shoulder.)

Craigslist Person: "Oh, you have a baby! How sweet!"

(Craigslist person steps inside the door and looks around. They give a look of surprise and confusion.)

Craigslist Person: "Oh, you have lots of babies.....are these all (gulp) yours?"

Me: "Yes, we have quintuplets!"

Craigslist Person: "Quintup..oh wow...that's..."

Me: "Five"

Craigslist Person: "Oh!! …OH!!! Are you the ones???"

Me: "Yep, we are the ones."

(Craigslist person then proceeds to make several comments about the babies and eventually we complete the transaction and they leave.)

On the weekends, we have less outside help than on other days. Saturday evenings we typically take care of the babies by ourselves. Tonight the babies seemed to realize that we were a little shorthanded and decided to react by all screaming at the same time. Jayson, Aunt Victoria and I were all going from baby to baby, trying to console them, but we were having little success. At the same time, we were also trying to put Riley and Kaiya to bed. Right in the middle of all the chaos, a very nice gal named Amanda showed up to look at the TV we had posted on Craigslist. After the initial shock and questions (see above dialog), she asked if she could bring in her mother who was waiting in the car because she just "had to see this".

When Amanda and her mom came back in, all five babies were screaming, so we passed out sanitizer and put them to work holding babies. With Jayson, Victoria, Amanda, Amanda's Mom, and myself each holding a baby, things finally started to settle down. It was at this moment that Kyndall, who was being held by Amanda's mom, had a major reflux moment. This was no small spit-up. This was a huge projectile, all-the-way-down-the-shirt throw-up. I felt awful about the whole thing. It is not everyday when your kid pukes on a complete stranger. (Amanda's mom: if you are reading this, I am so sorry about your clothes!!) At this point Amanda and her mom made a quick get-a-way, generously offering to find people to help us out with the babies. As we closed the door behind them, all five babies resumed crying at the top of their lungs. We decided there were only two options: laugh hysterically, or cry hysterically. We chose to laugh. We laughed for a long time. Then we thought of what Amanda and her mom were going to tell their family when they got home, and we laughed some more.

Eventually, we did get all the babies calmed down and peace was restored. Later, as I sat in the rocking chair holding two of my beautiful daughters, I was overcome by the awesome blessing I have been given. Despite the fact that there are "moments" (and I am sure I will have many more of those in my future), these babies are such a wonderful gift from God. They are so perfect and healthy. I have been amazed at how much my capacity to love has increased since they were born. Not only have I been given these five precious little ones, but I have also been blessed to have Riley and Kaiya, who have brought so much joy into my life.



A rare moment when all five babies are content!
(Clockwise, starting from the left: Kassidy, Rustin, Kaydence, Ryder & Kyndall)



Aunt Victoria holding Kaydence and Rustin.
On another note, this weekend, Riley (our 7-year-0ld) wrote, directed, starred in, and edited his very first video. The video was for a school project called "Reflections". The theme for this year was "I can make a difference by...." Riley's subject was "I can make a difference in my family by helping with the babies." Check out Jayson's blog (http://www.wilkinsonquints.org/blog/jaysonblog.html) to watch the video.

Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

Julianne said...

Those are the moments! I love your dialogue with the Craigslist people. Too funny.

You are doing awesome!

The Dragonfly said...

Hi.Lar.Ious! That story goes down in the Quintuplet History Books as making me laugh the hardest! I love that the strangers were even willing to hold the babies in a moment of screaming crisis! I love that you could laugh about it! And I love that you posted a picture of my mom holding that red headed angel. Thanks guys! :) Love you.

Anonymous said...

I could totally imagine how that all came down. I wish that I could just show up to lend a hand. I'm glad that you laughed, I'm certain that there will be days of crying as well.
Sylvia

The Nanny said...

I laughed so hard about the Craigslist thing! And I love reading your blog updates. You're incredibly inspiring, the way you are so positive even when you have 5 screaming babies! :-)

Lyndsee Bates said...

That is so funny! I wish I could be a fly on your wall all day long! It would be fun!
BTW: I really like those blankets that you have the babies on! They look very professional! Where could I get some like that :)!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachelle, my name is Cori Ann and this is my first time leaving you a comment. I have been reading your blog since the day before the babies were born and have since read all your past blogs. I have also read all of Jayson's blogs as well. I have been so moved by your emotional and touching journey. I am inspired by you and I want you to know that you have become one of my heros. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your experiences with all of us. I am a mother of 3 and I love being a MOMMY! This posting today was so tender (and pretty funny too)... I can really tell how much you loves ALL of your children. You are truly amazing. By the way... my sister-in-law Tiffany is a volunteer that helps you out from time to time. She loves it!!!

TracieCarter said...

My 3 1/2 yr old saw me reading this and said he wanted to have five babies too. Actually for months now he's been telling us he needs 2 babies, sisters!?! I'm a first time commenter but been reading for eons via spymommy's blog. Your family is wonderful and I know Heavenly Father is blessing you all in those chaotic moments. Thanks for all your posts sharing this adventure!

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived near you. I'd LOVE to help out with the babies!! They're so gorgeous and look like they're growing nicely :)

Nichols Family said...

Oh Rachelle, that is so funny! Once Tyler spit up (tons) down Lynessa's shirt. I felt so dumb but at least it was his aunt!! Ha ha! Thanks for the update, the pics are soooooo cute!
-Jennie

Schauers Hours said...

That is definitely a story that will go down in your family history hall of fame. I wish I could be there to help, spit up and all! Those babies are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Your family is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on having such a large, healthy bunch! I love the spit-up story.. My neice also had a reflux problem like that. Every time she ate, it came right back up.. all over whoever was holding her at the time. She grew out of it in time and is now a rowdy 15 month old! God Bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Hehe that's hilarious! The babies are doing SO well. It really amazes me how BIG they were at birth (although still tiny dots but big for quints)

Kristi said...

Just a lurker here, stopping by to say hello! The babies are getting so big! Amazing how quickly they grow isn't it?

As a mom of 6-month-old triplets, I can *sort of* relate to how strangers react when they see multiples. Though I'm positive you get even more of a reaction than we do!

I'm so glad your babies are doing so well, and love seeing all the cute pictures of them. :-)

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

So funny! I wish I had come by that day. I love to hold babies! And I don't mind a little puke. I have twins and know how hard it is when 2 cry at the same time. I can't imagine 5! You really do have to laugh it off or else you'll be crying alot!

Anonymous said...

God Bless you. He knew that you'd be a GREAT MOM & DAD to HIS gifts to you. My husband and I enjoyed your pictures.